Monday, October 1, 2007

Getting to Know Sevilla





Tonight I’m meeting with my Spanish language amigo, Antonio. We meet twice a week, talking in English one day and Spanish the other. He’s a Sevilla native studying for a pretty big English test that he’s going to take in December, so we’re practice speaking together.

Yesterday I left for church at 10am, and didn’t get back home until 4:45pm. There was the normal service, but afterwards, the little congregation of about 20 shared a meal together. There was so much food, it was incredible! We had rabbit, pork, chicken, potatoes, eggs, garlic bread, rolls, bean salad, and then for dessert, there was tiramisu, a cake with peaches, something else with a pink frosting, and coffee. The only thing that was missing from this church feast was Smitty’s Tri Tip; beef isn’t as popular over here.

I’ve been taking pictures of some of the stranger Spanish foods that I’ve found… including an ice cream shop that serves “Smuts” and “Banana Crack,” hot dogs in a Cambell’s soup style can, a can of spam that just says “Lunch” on the container, and “Cratch” candy bars (the “a” is pronounced more like an “o” in Spanish). But most of the pictures above are from last night; it rained during the day, but it cleared up during the night, leaving a beautiful sky. Sevilla is a beautiful city.

For prayers, could you guys keep my parents in your prayers as they’re doing a lot of traveling to be here with me next weekend? Also, I’m beginning transfer applications, so that I can complete my 3-2 engineering degree. If you could keep me in your prayers through this process of applying to colleges all over again and eventually making a decision of where to study, I’d really appreciate that. If you guys have anything I could be praying for, just send me an e-mail and let me know.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mar said...

Hola Jota -- We loved Sevilla especially with you as our personal tour guide, and now these photos and Banana Crack mean so much more to us! We're grateful we were able to share a meal with Ana.
Love, Madre y Padre

October 12, 2007 at 5:13 PM  
Blogger SMITsPIT said...

"Dude" - that is American for "Hey Jay - you world travelor":
It was great talking with you yesterday. Cherish these times of travel ... these are great times and memories you will rely on for years to come. When Trae allows me to retire and your parents are willing to pay my way over there, I want you to be my guide. I won't say anything to anybody about the dancing on the bar at the stout beer brewry. You can trust me like I trusted you with the pictures of me that "somehow" found their way onto the internet. Did you find YOUR boxers?

Peace and Love -
smit

October 12, 2007 at 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home