Monday, September 17, 2007

Cordoba



Sala de Oracion
El Mihrab




Last Thursday, I got to experience a meal of Spanish “tapas.” A couple of Spaniards who are friends of the school took out small groups to have a typical Spanish dinner of tapas, which are basically smaller appetizer-like plates. When the Spanish go out for tapas, they typically go to two or three different tapas bars and order a tapa and a drink at each stop. So that’s what we did. I really enjoy this type of dining, there’s a lot of variety in both the food and atmosphere of each restaurant, and it’s a pretty slow, enjoyable process (we met for dinner at 9:00 and by the time we’d finished with tapas and ice cream it was nearly 1:00 am).
The next morning we met at school at the very un-Spanish hour of 7:50 am to drive to Cordoba. We visited the mosque that was constructed there during the 8th, 9th, and 10th centuries. However, now it’s now known as the cathedral of Cordoba instead of the mosque, and parts of the original mosque have been torn down and replaced with Christian/cathedral-style architecture. When the Christians took over Cordoba from the Muslims in the 12th century, they built their cathedral right in the center of this ancient mosque, as a symbol of the triumph of Christianity over Islam. It’s kind of a shame. The mosque is beautiful, but the cathedral in the center and room full of Catholic relics just seem odd and out of place.
This trip to the mosque of Cordoba was unlike any tour I’d been on before, because the past two weeks in History of Spanish art Class, we’d been studying Cordoba, and the construction of the mosque. I got so much more out of the visit, and was able to understand the mosque in a way that would have otherwise been nearly impossible. For example, being able to distinguish which parts of the mosque were built in which century under which rulers and their motives for building, why the construction material varies in different sections of the mosque, why there are some columns that vary in their design, the significance of the “mihrab” at the far end of the mosque, and all the symbolism built into every aspect of the mosque. It was a great excursion, and I was able to appreciate it so much more with what I’d been studying these past weeks. I miss you guys… but it’s been cool to read you comments. Hope things are going well back in the US!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mar said...

Hi JD! I'm so pleased that you are soaking up the art history in a way that is so rich and immersed in the actual culture…much better than looking at pictures in a book. I can’t wait to try Tapas—1AM? I’ll do my best. Miss you a bunch. Hi from Dad, and Lots of Love from home.

September 19, 2007 at 5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jay: I hear you have worked out how to have everyone buy you things. Glad to hear that you are learning the history and culture over there. Sounds like a great experience. Your brother is getting ready to go to SB, while your other brother is getting a new bed! Hope you get your official identity back soon so that you can make it back and we can see you. All the best from the Tag family. Love Dan Tag

September 20, 2007 at 5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jay: I think the trip to Cordoba sounds like something I would like to do. In fact, I think you better keep notes on the whole thing because I might want to come over sometime to see these beautiful places you are studying about. You are so fortunate to be able to see all these beautiful places. I also enjoyed seeing the pictures of you with all the lovely ladies. I think you must be having a LOT OF FUN. Enjoy it while you can. Love, Grammie

September 20, 2007 at 5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jay, bayne told me to tell you my email............


tytycoon13@gmail.com


so yeah

September 22, 2007 at 1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home